Understanding Penguin 2.1 and The Hummingbird Algorithm Update Resource
I got several emails and private messages in my Facebook and Twitter about how will the Penguin 2.1 and the recent Hummingbird Algorithm from Google will affect the SEO and Inbound Marketing industry. I compiled some best content and categorized them for easy resource for everyone who wants to know more about the recent updates. These articles I believe best represent on the said issue.
Google has just released the second, more updated version of its Penguin spam fighting algorithm. Technically it’s the fifth reiteration of it when you consider all the rollouts both major and minor but since it is based on the Penguin 2 (which is the fourth release) this latest version is dubbed the 2.1.
If that’s a bit confusing don’t be. Also don’t be confused by thinking that Penguin 2.1 will take over for Hummingbird. While hummingbird is for the entire search engine ranking system, Penguin is the spam filter for it. This means that because it is a filter it gets changed periodically in order to get more spam out of your search engine results – hence the many reiterations of it.
What came before: Penguin 2.0 – Penguin 2.1 is a tighter update of its predecessor, Penguin 2.0. Knowing about the past is important so you can understand the underpinnings of the current spam filter from Google.
- Google’s Penguin 2.0 Algorithm: The Definitive Guide – A guide for a better understanding of Penguin 2.0
- Dissecting Google Penguin 2.0: Why Sites Won or Lost Traffic [Study] – A case study as to the effects of Penguin 2.0
- Google Penguin 2.0: Now What for SEO? – Talks about Penguin 2.0 and its focus.
- Penguin 2.0: Your Roadmap to Recovery – What you can do to recover from Penguin 2.0
- Another Step Towards Higher Quality Sites – From the official Google blog talking about what Penguin 2.0 is going to do for website owners.
Related Article: Google Algorithm Hisotry and Updates
Understanding Penguin 2.1 – Understanding what the Penguin is all about is a big step in understanding what you can do about it. This can help you chart a better course so your site doesn’t get affected as much.
- Penguin 5, With The Penguin 2.1 Spam-Filtering Algorithm, Is Now Live – Talks about how Penguin 2.1 is now live and what it’s all about.
- Latest Google Penguin Update Is Now Live – Impacts 1% of Searches – Based on Google engineer Matt Cutts’ announcement of the Penguin 2.1 launch.
- SEO alert: Penguin 2.1 live – A simple article on Penguin 2.1 and what you can do about it.
- The Google Penguin 2.1 Algorithm Update Is Here, And It’s Scarier Than Ever! – Talks about what Penguin 2.1 is all about and what it can do.
- Penguin 2.1 Analysis and Findings (Based on the October 4, 2013 Update) – A simple analysis of Penguin 2.1
- Penguin 2.1 – New Anti-Spam Update 4 October 2013 – A short one on the 2.1 release.
- Google Penguin Update 2.1 Is Bigger Than Your Average Penguin Refresh – On the impact that Penguin 2.1 will have on websites.
- 3% Of Websites Affected By Update Google Penguin 2.1 Penguin 5 – Wait and watch for the effect before doing anything is their suggestion.
- The Ultimate Guide to Beating Penguin 2.1 – A guide to Penguin 2.1
Watch the videos for a better understanding of Google’s Penguin 2.1
- What is Google Penguin 2.1? – A YouTube video by HubShout discussing the Penguin 2.1.
- Negative SEO Google Penguin 2.1 – The Negative SEO Guy talks about Penguin 2.1 and why it’s another tool for negative SEO.
Hot topic in the forums – Because of what it means for a lot of sites the release of version 2.1 has been a very hot topic in the SEO forums as of late. No surprise as many are still figuring out how this new reiteration will affect them and their Google search engine rankings.
- Twitter: @MattCutts – A twitter discussion of those following Google engineer Matt Cutts.
- Webmaster World – Google SEO News And Discussion Forum – Discusses the tweet of Matt Cutts concerning the 2.1 release.
- Google Product Forums > Webmaster Central > Penguin 2.1 is the best and greatest Google algorithm update to date! Thank you Google! – Reactions to the 2.1 release so far.
What Now – With Penguin 2.1 Google has once again changed the face of search engines. For those webmasters out there, there are things that you can do in order to survive this new Penguin.
- 5 Things You Can Do Today About Penguin 2.1 – Talks about some response options you can make in order to give your site a fighting chance.
- The Ultimate Guide to Beating Penguin 2.1 – A guide to Penguin 2.1 and what you can do to beat it.
- How We Deal With Penguin 2.1 – A short one on how you can counter the effects of Penguin 2.1
There’s also Hummingbird – Google Penguin 2.1 wasn’t the only new update made by Google. It also updated its search engine algorithm that allows for more semantic and contextual searches. It’s called Hummingbird and the name as chosen as a way of saying the search results will be quick and swift.
- The Google Hummingbird Algorithm: The Beginning of Contextual Search Results – Talks about the new algorithm and how it affects websites.
- FAQ: All About The New Google “Hummingbird” Algorithm – An FAQ on what Hummingbird is all about and what it can do.
- Google Update September 27, 2013 Cleaner Results – For better and cleaner search results.
- What Google’s Hummingbird Update Means for Small Business – Discusses Hummingbird and what it means for businesses.
- Google Hummingbird: The New Google Algorithm and What You Need To Know – Things you need to know about the new search algorithm.
- Google Hummingbird, and what it means for Online Marketers & SEO – How Hummingbird affects SEO and searches.
Hummingbird and Content Marketing – Perhaps the biggest marketing strategy that will be effected is content marketing.
- 3 Ways Content Will Be Affected by Google’s Latest Hummingbird Update – How Hummingbird will affect your content marketing strategy.
- Google Hummingbird and Your Content Marketing Strategy – What you should do with your content marketing strategy.
- Google Hummingbird: A Mobile Content Marketing Strategy Just Became Essential – Hummingbird embraces the questions of people on the go. What you need to know about your mobile content marketing strategy.
- How Google Hummingbird Affects Your Content Marketing Strategy – The new strategies you need to know for the new Hummingbird algorithm.
- Google Hummingbird, search rankings and on-site content strategy – How Hummingbird affects your online content strategy.
- 5 Ways To Optimise For Google Hummingbird – Starting Now – How you can optimize your site for this new search algorithm.
Watch the videos for a better understanding of Google’s Hummingbird
- Google Hummingbird Explained and its Impact on SEO – HubShout talks about Hummingbird and how it affects SEO.
- Semantic Search and Google Hummingbird – The Digital Marketing Excellence Show talks about Google Hummingbird and the new semantic search ability. A discussion by experts.
- Life after the Hummingbird algorithm, or copy writing for social media – Yifat Cohen of GPlusGoToGal.com leads a panel discussion on Hummingbird and what it means for copywriting.
Since both Hummingbird and most especially Penguin 2.1 are relatively new, the online world is still picking up the pieces to see just how good or bad the effects will be. Drops in traffic have been reported in some places but until everyone has really taken the time to check the effects it will take a while before real progress reports are made.
How is your site doing now that Hummingbird and Penguin 2.1 is alive and kicking? Was the effect negative or positive for you?
Share your thoughts in the comment section below and let us know what’s going on.
Understanding Penguin 2.1 and The Hummingbird Algorithm Update Resource by Mark